Are you stuck in a job that’s draining your energy and creativity? Do you dream of pursuing your passion but feel like it’s impossible to do while working full-time?
You’re not alone.
I want to tell you a secret… but you have to promise not to tell a soul.
I have quit every single job I have ever had.
I know how bad that sounds, but the truth is… I have never found fulfillment in any of the places that I worked. No matter how hard I tried to achieve what society portrays to be the “American Dream,” (get a job, stay at the job for 1 yr – your whole life, get a 401K, retire at 60,etc.), I just couldn’t.
In the past, and even still now, I want more out of my life. I want to feel like my job is actually making a difference. I don’t want to work at a company that views me as nothing more than a number.
Can you relate?
I find joy in travel, nature, and the simple pleasures. So, I wondered, “Why couldn’t I find something that encompasses all of that while providing for my financial needs?”
Yet again and again, family members and friends would tell me that the only way to pursue my passion was by working a consistent, stable job.
“Put aside your savings and work the job until you don’t have to.”
Now I know this might be the safest way, and quite honestly, the best way for those that were growing up 20 years ago, but for me, this sounded like a nightmare.
There had to be some better way.
Well, as a married 21-year-old with no assets and bad credit, there was no “better way.”
Can you identify?
Some of you may be pregnant or raising a family. Maybe you just bought a home, or maybe, like me, are completely broke and can’t afford basic necessities.
You may begin to wonder, “How can I still pursue my passion in my soul-sucking, dead-end job?
You’re not alone.
Many people find themselves in these situations, feeling frustrated, stuck and unfulfilled. Pursuing your passion while working a dead-end job is a challenge, especially when you feel like you have no energy or creativity to do so.
But finding energy in the midst of a draining job can propel you towards success. You’ll find that eventually you will be able to leave that job behind in pursuit of your dreams.
Why pursue your passion?
Pursuing your passion will help you to feel more fulfilled, and less stressed, in the long run. Often, the work that we are doing secularly does not actually have meaning to us personally. That is because we are working to fulfill someone else’s dream, and not our own.
If you aren’t doing something that drives you, chances are, you’ll find yourself feeling unnecessarily drained and unfulfilled with your life. In turn, you’ll start looking to fulfill a purpose fueled by desperation, and not enjoyment.
According to a recent Gallup poll, 70% of Americans feel disengaged or uninspired by their jobs. The only reason they work is for the financial stability that is offered.
This is good of course… I mean, you need to pay your bills. But is it realistic to expect to feel joy when you are only working to put food on the table every day?
If you are in that 70% looking for a purpose, pursuing your passion could make all the difference for you.
There are many successful people who pursued their passions while working dead-end jobs. Walt Disney, Oprah Winfrey, and J.K. Rowling all had to support themselves with day jobs while they pursued their passions.
It’s possible to build success while doing something you love, without sacrificing your income or financial stability.
“Now is not the right time.” or “I’ll pursue my passion once I…”
Do those statements sound familiar to you?
The truth is it will never be the right time!!! Life will continue to find a way to throw you back on your butt. It is up to you to figure out how you will react to the next push.
How to find your passion while working a 9-5 job
It can be challenging to pursue your passion while working a 9-5. The good news is that with the right mindset and strategies, it is possible to uncover your true calling even within the constraints of a full-time job.
- Reflect on Your Interests and Values: Take time to reflect on your interests and values. What activities bring you joy and fulfillment? What topics ignite your curiosity? Understanding what truly matters to you will help you identify potential areas of passion that align with your core values.
- Explore New Hobbies and Activities: Step outside your comfort zone and explore new hobbies and activities that spark your interest. Join clubs, take classes, or attend workshops related to your potential areas of passion. Immersing yourself in new experiences will expand your horizons and open up new possibilities.
- Network and Seek Inspiration: Connect with like-minded individuals who share similar interests or have pursued their passions successfully while working. Attend industry events, join online communities, or seek out mentors who can provide guidance and inspiration. Surrounding yourself with people who are passionate will fuel your own journey.
- Combine Passion with Work: Consider how you can integrate your passion into your current job. Talk to your supervisor about projects or tasks that align with your interests. Finding ways to merge your passion with your 9-5 job can make your work more fulfilling and increase your motivation.
- Start a Side Project or Business: If your passion cannot be fully realized within your current job, consider starting a side project or business. This will allow you to dedicate time outside of work to pursue your passion and potentially turn it into a full-time venture in the future. It may require extra effort and commitment, but the rewards can be immensely gratifying.
- Embrace Continuous Learning: Stay curious and embrace learning related to your passion. Take courses, read books and articles, attend webinars, or listen to podcasts to expand your knowledge and skills in your chosen area. The more you learn, the more you can refine your passion and find new avenues for growth.
- Practice Time Management: Balancing your 9-5 job and passion project requires effective time management. Prioritize your tasks, set realistic goals, and establish a schedule that allows dedicated time for your passion. By managing your time effectively, you can make progress towards your goals without feeling overwhelmed.
Finding your passion is only half the battle, however. Often, once we know what our passion is, our jobs take up so much energy and mental power, that we might feel we have none left over to allocate towards that particular pursuit.
How can you overcome this issue? How can you still find the energy to do what gives you fulfillment while also working your 9-5?
Tips for Finding Energy at your Dead-End Job
When you’re stuck in a job, it can feel like you are trapped within your own struggles. But it’s essential to find positive ways to deal with the stress you face. Here are some approaches that can help you discover energy at work:
- Set achievable goals and celebrate small wins– Setting realistic goals can help you stay focused and motivated. Celebrating small wins, no matter how small, can help boost your morale and help you stay on track.
- Take regular breaks and practice self-care- Rest is essential for your body and brain to recharge. It may seem more feasible to just keep working until your lunch break, or maybe even until you clock out, but not taking regular breaks can decrease productivity. Practicing self-care, like getting enough sleep and eating well, can also help you stay focused.
- Find Meaning in the Job, Even if it’s Not Your Passion- Try to stay positive and find meaning in your current job, even if it’s not related to your passion project. Keeping a positive mindset can help you stay energized and find new motivation.
- Develop New Skills and Build Your Resume- Take the opportunity to learn new things at work that you can incorporate into your passions or use in the future. Adding new skills to your resume may help you secure a better job later in the future.
- Network and Seek Out New Opportunities- Using your job as an opportunity for learning and growth. Networking with other people in your industry can help you discover new opportunities.
- Stay Positive and Maintain a Growth Mindset– Maintaining a positive attitude and growth mindset can help you stay optimistic and motivated in the face of challenges.
Pursuing your passion can lead to success.
Pursuing your passion can lead to career success in a number of ways. It can be a stepping stone into building a career that you love. It can also lead to finding new job opportunities or developing your skills in an existing professional environment.
Pursuing your passion while working a dead-end job can be a challenge, but it’s not impossible. It’s essential to find ways to cope with the stress and to stay energized and positive. By discovering energy and motivation at work, you can push towards your goals and achieve your dream career.
No matter how hard it seems, remember that your passion could be the key to building your success.